This light and refreshing pickled salad serves as a great starter to an early summer dinner party.
Makes about 6 servings
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 4 large sprigs fresh tarragon
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 1⅓ cups distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- French bread, to serve
- In a small Dutch oven, bring 6 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook just until pink and firm, about 2 minutes. Transfer to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain.
- In a large bowl, stir together shrimp, onion, lemon, tarragon, bay leaves, and pickling spice. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and salt; whisk in oil. Pour over shrimp mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving with French bread.