Change up your go-to grilled chicken with this pickle-packed recipe.
Pickle-Brined Grilled Chicken
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 quart Grillos Pickles Pickle Spears, Fresh, Classic Dill (reserve pickle spears for grilling)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ⅓ cup grated onion
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 bunches green onions
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Garnish: fresh dill, ground black pepper, grilled pickle spears
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups juice from pickles (adding water to equal 2 cups, if needed), vegetable oil, garlic, grated onion, brown sugar, lemon, jalapeño, and 2 tablespoons dill. Reserve ½ cup pickle juice mixture for basting. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine remaining pickle juice mixture and chicken; seal bag. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Spray grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat one side of grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- Remove chicken from bag and discard marinade. Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Place chicken on opposite side of grill; grill, covered, over indirect heat for 30 to 40 minutes, turning frequently, basting every 10 minutes with reserved pickle juice mixture. Grill reserved pickle spears and green onions over direct heat until slightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove chicken from grill and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Chop grilled green onions. In a small bowl, combine green onions, olive oil, remaining 2 tablespoons dill, and red pepper. Serve with chicken. Garnish with dill, black pepper, and grilled pickles, if desired.