Melty and mild in flavor, Brie is great for whipping up these easy yet elegant sandwiches, but you can sub in your favorite cheese to add your own spin.
Persimmon Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon creamy horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices (¼-inch-thick) sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) wheel of Brie, cut into ⅛-inch-thick slices (rind removed, if desired)
- 1 (8-ounce) block mozzarella cheese, cut into ⅛-inch-thick slices
- 16 slices (⅛-inch-thick) peeled firm ripe Fuyu persimmons (about 4 persimmons)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, horseradish, mustard, and pepper. Spread mayonnaise mixture onto both sides of each bread slice.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Place 2 bread slices in skillet. Arrange Brie in a single layer on one bread slice. Arrange a few slices of mozzarella in a single layer on other bread slice. Top one bread slice with 4 persimmon slices, overlapping if necessary. Top with 4 basil leaves. Cover with lid, and cook until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Using a spatula, turn one bread slice onto other bread slice, cheese side down. Increase heat to medium. Cook for 30 seconds; turn sandwich over, and cook 30 seconds more. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve warm.