Slices of fresh persimmon create a gorgeous star-patterned topping for this simple loaf.
Persimmon and Citrus Quick Bread
Yields: 1 (9×5-Inch) Loaf
- 1⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup diced peeled Fuyu persimmons (about 2 persimmons)
- 1 Fuyu persimmon, unpeeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, zest, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and orange juice. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add egg mixture, stirring until combined. Fold in diced persimmons. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Top with persimmon slices, and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes more. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.