Classic and delicious. You can’t get any better than a batch of Fried Chicken.
Classic Fried Chicken
Makes 8 pieces
- 11⁄2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt, divided
- 1 (31⁄2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup quick-mixing flour*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot sauce, and 1 tablespoon salt. Add chicken; cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together quick-mixing flour, all-purpose flour, pepper, and remaining 1 tablespoon salt. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Place on a wire rack; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 365°. Place half of chicken, skin side down, in skillet. Cover and fry for 5 to 8 minutes; uncover, and turn chicken. Fry until a meat thermometer registers 165°, 6 to 10 minutes more. Let drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.
*We used Wondra. This flour helps create an extra crispy crust for this buttermilk fried chicken.