Spicy, savory, and sweet, these meatballs are the ultimate party starter.
Pepper Jelly Meatballs
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ⅓ cup whole milk
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground spicy Italian sausage
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 (12-ounce) jar chili sauce
- 1 (10.5-ounce) jar red pepper jelly
- Sliced pickles*, to serve
- In a large bowl, stir together bread crumbs and milk until combined. Set aside until milk is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add ground beef, sausage, garlic, eggs, Parmesan, Worcestershire, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Use hands to mix until evenly combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a medium spring-loaded scoop (about 2 tablespoons) or a spoon, scoop and roll meat mixture into 46 balls and place on prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until beginning to crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add onions to drippings in pan; cook over medium heat until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add bacon. Stir in chili sauce and pepper jelly; cook until bubbly. Gently stir in meatballs; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes. Serve warm with pickles.
*We used Wickles pickle chips.