These are a grown-up take on our favorite childhood candy bars.
Peanut Butter-Chocolate Crunch Bars
Makes 1 (12×9-inch) slab
- 1½ cups extra crunchy peanut butter
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 4¾ cups crisp rice cereal, divided
- 2 (4-ounce) bars bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a 12×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave peanut butter, maple syrup, and butter on high in 30-second intervals stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Gently stir in 4½ cups rice cereal. Spread mixture in prepared pan using an offset spatula. Refrigerate until set, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the top of a double boiler, place chocolate. Cook over simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and pour over peanut butter mixture; smooth top using an offset spatula. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup rice cereal. Refrigerate until chocolate is set and hardened, 1 to 2 hours.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and cut into pieces. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.