Homemade vanilla custard and juicy sliced peaches are a perfect match.
Peaches and Cream Pie
Makes 1 (15×10-inch) pie
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk, divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 medium fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- ½ cup apricot jam, melted
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly spray bottom of a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, salt, and sugar; pulse until combined. Add butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Gradually add ½ cup buttermilk, pulsing until a dough forms. Add remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, if needed. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 17×12-inch rectangle. Transfer to prepared pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Prick bottom and sides of dough with a fork.
- Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add milk, whisking to combine. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk half of hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining hot milk mixture in saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, about 3 minutes. Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter is melted. Spoon into a medium bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice. Let stand until filling is cold, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon filling into prepared crust. Top with peaches; brush with melted jam. Garnish with almonds, if desired.