This generously sized tart showcases ripe and juicy Southern peaches.
Peaches and Cream Tart
Yield: approximately 16 servings
Write a review
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole buttermilk, divided
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 13⁄4 cups whole milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam, melted
- Garnish: toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425°. Lightly spray bottom of a 15 1⁄2 x 10 1⁄2-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add butter, pulsing until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, pulsing until a dough forms. (Add remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk, if needed.) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and let stand at room temperature until slightly softened, approximately 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 17 1⁄2 x 12 1⁄2-inch rectangle. Transfer to prepared pan. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Prick bottom and sides with a fork.
- Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling: In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add milk, whisking to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk half of hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Whisk egg yolk mixture into remaining milk mixture in saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, approximately 3 minutes. Add butter and vanilla, stirring until butter melts. Spoon into a medium bowl. Place bowl in a larger bowl of ice until filling is cold, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon cream into prepared crust. Top with peaches; brush with melted jam. Garnish with almonds, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/