The special Secret Sauce makes these patty melts even more delicious.
Patty Melts with Secret Sauce
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- ½ cup Secret Sauce
- 3 medium Vidalia onions, thinly sliced
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Shape ground beef into 6 oval patties.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring
occasionally,until onion is soft and golden brown, approximately 35 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook patties over medium-high heat until browned and cooked through, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove skillet from heat. Remove patties from skillet; wipe out skillet.
- Layer 1 bread slice with 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce, 2 to 3 tablespoons caramelized onions, 1 slice cheese, 1 patty, and another 1 tablespoon Secret Sauce. Top with another bread slice. Repeat with remaining bread, Secret Sauce, caramelized onions, cheese, and patties.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet. Working in batches, cook sandwiches, flipping once, until golden brown and heated through, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add remaining butter to skillet as needed.
Calories: 5294 Fat: 245g Saturated fat: 129g Unsaturated fat: 92g Trans fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 514g Sugar: 72g Sodium: 7892mg Fiber: 28g Protein: 260g Cholesterol: 841mg
Uhh it ask for a password when I click on secret sauce. Is it really that secret
We’re so sorry about that, Jenny! The Secret Sauce is secret, but not that secret! It should be fixed now!
Can’t wait to try these! I LOVE patty melts!
Great sandwich, have made your recipe many times. However, the password is still required for the secret sauce.
Just realized it’s the link in the recipe instructions that requires the password. The link at the top of the page works fine.
We just removed the link from the ingredients list to eliminate confusion! Sorry about that! The link in the deck should work 🙂
Do you really cook the onions for 35 minutes?? That seems a little overboard to me….
Thanks for reaching out! Yes, we do cook the onions for 35 minutes so they will caramelize.
I cooked mine for at least 3 hours on low heat. If you want sweet Jammie onions it will require patience.
What is the secret sauce ?? Can’t you just add it to the recipe you have posted. I am not real text savy..HELP!
Hi Shirley! Click the word “Secret Sauce” under the picture and it will take you to the recipe.
He secret sauce recipe link does not work 🙁
Hi Mellisa, We linked the Secret Sauce recipe in the recipe name and in the ingredient list. If you click on the words “Secret Sauce” in either location, it should take you to the recipe.