The pan juices from this roasted chicken are packed with flavor; we recommend sopping them up with a piece of crusty bread.
Pan-Roasted Chicken with Cabbage and Apples
Yields: 4 servings
- 8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small head green cabbage, cut into wedges
- 2 small Pink Lady apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1½ teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken, skin side down, in skillet; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn, and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Add oil to skillet, and heat over medium heat until hot. Add cabbage and apples; cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Return chicken to skillet, skin side up. Sprinkle with thyme. Drizzle with vinegar and melted butter.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme, if desired.