These starters are as easy as they are delicious.
Baked Pimiento Cheese
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, pimientos, pickle juice, Worcestershire, and red pepper. Stir in cheeses. Spoon into prepared skillet.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Ginger-Glazed Sausage Bites
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ½ cup ginger preserves
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- In a medium bowl, whisk together preserves, ginger, and mustard.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to preserves mixture, and toss to coat.
- 2 (6-ounce) packages buttermilk cornbread-and-muffin mix*
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs, divided
- ¼ cup cold whole buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place cornbread mix, ¾ cup cheese, pepper, and thyme; process until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse 5 to 6 times until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and cold buttermilk. With processor running, add egg mixture in a slow, steady stream just until moistened. (Batter will be thick.)
- Using lightly greased hands, spread dough into a 12x4-inch rectangle on prepared pan. In a small bowl, beat remaining egg, and brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese.
- Bake until lightly golden and firm, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 300°. Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices. Place slices cut side down on pan. Bake until golden and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
*We used Jiffy.