Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup + Bacon & Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese
Chorizo adds a spicy kick to this vegetable-packed soup.
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup
Yields: about 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12-ounce) package cooked chorizo sausage, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ pound turnip greens, roughly chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chorizo; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about
- minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add chorizo and turnip greens; cook until greens are wilted, about 5 minutes.
These sandwiches get a double hit of smoky flavor from the bacon and cheese.
Bacon & Smoked Cheddar Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Yields: Makes 4
- 8 slices smoked Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 8 slices sourdough bread, sliced ½ inch thick
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- Divide Cheddar and bacon among half of bread slices. Cover with remaining bread slices.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches; cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown,
- to 3 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 sandwiches.