Bacon & Butternut Squash Bisque + Apple & Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Sweet butternut squash and salty bacon are a match made in heaven.
Bacon & Butternut Squash Bisque
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup peeled and chopped carrot
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, tied together with kitchen twine
- 2¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: chopped pecans
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add squash and carrot; cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, thyme, salt, curry powder, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Reserve broth; discard thyme.
- Working in batches, transfer vegetables to the container of a blender using a slotted spoon; purée until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; heat over medium heat. Thin soup with reserved broth, if desired. Garnish with bacon and pecans, if desired.
A drizzle of honey adds a hint of sweetness to these fall sandwiches.
Apple & Brie Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Yields: Makes 4
- 2 (7-ounce) wedges Brie cheese, rind removed and sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 8 slices multi-grain bread, sliced ½ inch thick
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- Divide Brie slices and apple slices among half of bread slices. Drizzle with honey. Cover with remaining bread slices.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches; cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn, and cook until cheese is melted and both sides are golden brown,
- to 3 minutes. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining 2 sandwiches.