Fresh orange zest and juice add bright citrusy flavor to these rich sweet rolls.
Orange Sweet Rolls
Yields approximately 10 rolls
- Sweet Roll Dough
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon orange zest, divided
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Prepare Sweet Roll Dough, and let rise according to recipe directions. Lightly punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 14×10-inch rectangle.
- Spread butter evenly over dough. In a small bowl, stir together sugar and 2 tablespoons zest. Sprinkle over butter. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Slice into 9 or 10 rolls. Place rolls in prepared skillet. Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85°) until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Let cool in skillet on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining 1 teaspoon zest, confectioners’ sugar, and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.