Squeeze the roasted orange wedges over the chicken before serving for added sweetness and a boost of flavor.
Orange & Fennel Roasted Chicken
Yields: 4 Servings
- 1½ pounds baby red potatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large orange, cut into 8 wedges
- ½ cup halved pitted green olives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together potatoes, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Spread in an even layer on prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and stir potatoes. Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- Place chicken in same large bowl; toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. In a small bowl, stir together fennel, zest, garlic powder, remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¾ teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle fennel mixture over chicken, and toss to coat. Arrange chicken and orange wedges around pan.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°, about 20 minutes more. Sprinkle with olives and serve immediately.