Old-Fashioned Peach Ice Cream
Write a review
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 12 egg yolks
- 4 cups chopped fresh peaches(approximately 4 to 6 peaches)
- In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine half-and-half and ¾ cup sugar. Heat mixture over medium-high heat until it just begins to boil; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and remaining ¼ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Using a ladle, pour 1 cup hot half-and-half mixture in a slow steady stream into yolks, whisking constantly. Add another cup of hot half-and-half mixture, whisking to combine. Return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon or temperature reaches 170° on an instant-read thermometer.
- Pour mixture through a mesh sieve, and strain into a stainless-steel bowl set in an ice-water bath. Stir in peaches. Let cool completely, stirring often. Refrigerate for 2 hours before freezing.
- Freeze mixture in batches in a 1-quart gel-type ice-cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions. If a firmer texture is desired, transfer ice cream to an airtight container, and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/