It’s hard to beat this New Orleans classic.
Makes 4 Sandwiches
- 1 cup packed drained Italian mix giardiniera*
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- ¼ cup drained capers
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 hoagie rolls, sliced in half lengthwise
- 12 thin slices black forest ham
- 12 thin slices mortadella
- 16 thin slices of salami
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, halved
- Hot sauce, to serve
- In the work bowl of a food processor, add giardiniera, olives, capers, and olive oil. Pulse until mixture is chopped, about 10 pulses. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months, adding oil to cover vegetables as necessary.
- For each sandwich, spread 3 tablespoons of olive mixture on each half of hoagie roll. On one half of hoagie roll, place 3 slices of ham, 3 slices of mortadella, 4 slices of salami, 2 half slices of provolone, and 2 half slices of mozzarella. Cover with remaining half of roll. Serve immediately with hot sauce, if desired.
*We used Mezzetta.