Created to satisfy a Kentucky coal miner’s desire for a “snack as big as the moon,” MoonPie’s layers of graham cookie, marshmallow, and chocolate are still a Southern favorite 100 years later. We brought this tasty treat into summer with this quick-fix loaf cake.
- 1 (1½-quart) container chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 2 double-decker chocolate MoonPies, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Garnish: chopped chocolate MoonPies
- Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or plastic wrap, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- Spread one-third of ice cream in bottom of prepared pan; sprinkle with half of chopped MoonPies. Repeat layers once. Spread remaining ice cream on top of loaf. Cover and freeze until firm.
- Uncover; place a chilled plate over loaf, and invert loaf. Gently remove parchment or plastic wrap. Spread whipped topping on top of loaf. Garnish with chopped MoonPies, if desired.