These loaded bars will quickly become family favorites.
Monster Cookie Bars
Makes 1 (9-Inch) Pan
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup toasted pecan pieces*
- ⅓ cup chopped dried cherries
- ¼ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¾ teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to medium-low. Add egg and vanilla, beating until completely combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Gently stir in oats, pecans, cherries, and chocolate chips. Press dough into prepared pan.
- Bake until top is dry and edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 30 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into desired shapes. Drizzle with Chocolate Glaze, if desired. Let stand until set. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 6 days. Let come to room temperature before serving.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips and oil on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted and smooth (about 1½ minutes total). Use immediately.
*We used Cane River Pecan Company pecan pieces.