Turbinado sugar adds a delicate crunch to these rich and chewy cookies.
Makes about 28 cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup turbinado sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, molasses, and zest, beating well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a 1 ½-tablespoon spring loaded scoop, scoop dough onto prepared pan. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll dough balls in turbinado sugar. Place back on prepared pan. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until puffed and set, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 3 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
Want more holiday cookie inspiration? Give our new Holiday Baking 2019 issue a try.