A hidden layer of chocolate takes these fruity galettes up a notch.
Mini Persimmon Galettes
Yields: 6 (4-Inch) Galettes
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 cups thinly sliced Fuyu persimmons
- Tart Dough (recipe follows)
- ½ cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: pomegranate arils
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, and apple pie spice. Add persimmons, and toss until fully covered in sugar mixture.
- Let Tart Dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness. Invert a 6-inch round cake pan or bowl on crust, and use to cut 3 circles from dough. Repeat with remaining dough. Place dough rounds on prepared pan.
- Divide chocolate among dough rounds, leaving a ½-inch border around edges. Arrange ¼ cup persimmon mixture onto each chocolate layer. Fold dough up and over filling. (Dough will not completely cover filling.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Brush egg wash onto dough, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on bottom rack of oven until deep golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool on pan on a wire rack. Garnish with pomegranate arils, if desired.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add cold butter, and pulse until pieces are the size of peas. Add cold cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing just until a dough forms. Turn out dough, and divide in half. Shape each half into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.