If you need a new easy, go-to bake that’s fit for any occasion, this lovely loaf will become a quick favorite.
Meyer Lemon-Poppy Seed Quick Bread
Makes 1 (8½×4½-inch) loaf
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon packed Meyer lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh Meyer lemon juice, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8½×4½-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over edges of pan. Lightly spray with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, zest, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in center of dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, butter, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan. Tap pan on counter 3 to 4 times to settle batter and release air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes, tenting with foil as needed to prevent overbrowning. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using parchment paper as handles, gently remove bread from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice until smooth. Pour glaze over top of loaf. Garnish with lemon zest, if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.