An update on the classic prosciutto and cantaloupe, this pasta salad is packed with fresh herb flavor and crispy ham.
Melon and Crispy Country Ham Pasta Salad
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 1¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup raspberry Champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup cane vinegar*
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons mustard,* divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces thinly sliced country ham
- 4 slices cantaloupe, rind removed
- 24 ounces orecchiette, cooked according to package directions
- Garnish: chopped green onion, chopped fresh sage, chopped fresh tarragon, chopped fresh mint
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup oil, green onion, vinegars, ¼ cup mustard, sage, tarragon, mint, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook ham over medium-high heat until crisp. Let drain on paper towels. Using a sharp knife, cut ham into thin strips. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining ¼ cup oil and remaining 2 tablespoons mustard. Add cantaloupe, tossing to coat.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Add cantaloupe; cook until charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch cubes and reserve 4 cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked pasta, ham, cantaloupe, and vinaigrette. Garnish with green onion, sage, tarragon, and mint, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
*We used Steen's Cane Vinegar and Boar’s Head Delicatessen Style Mustard with White Wine & Horseradish.