An update on the classic prosciutto and cantaloupe, this Melon and Crispy Country Ham Pasta is packed with fresh herb flavor and crispy ham.
Melon and Crispy Country Ham Pasta Salad
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ¼ cup raspberry Champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup cane vinegar*
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons mustard*, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces thinly sliced country ham
- 4 (1-inch-thick) slices cantaloupe, rind removed
- 24 ounces orecchiette, cooked according to package directions
- Garnish: chopped fresh sage, chopped fresh tarragon
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup oil, green onion, vinegars, ¼ cup mustard, sage, tarragon, mint, salt, and pepper.
- In a large skillet pan, cook ham over medium-high heat until crisp. Let drain on paper towels. Using a sharp knife, cut ham into thin strips.
- In a large bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining 2 tablespoons mustard. Add cantaloupe, tossing to coat.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Add cantaloupe; cook until charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, stir together cooked pasta, ham, cantaloupe, and vinaigrette. Garnish with sage and tarragon, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
*We used Steen’s Pure Cane Vinegar and Boar’s Head Delicatessen Style Mustard White Wine & Horseradish.