Get your greens and your protein with this Meatball and Greens Soup.
Meatball and Greens Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ pound chopped fresh mustard greens
- ½ pound chopped fresh collard greens
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, crushed red pepper, grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, parsley, bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons cheese, onion, 1 egg, garlic, salt, and black pepper, and stir until just combined. Divide meat mixture into small portions and roll into balls (about 2 teaspoons each).
- In a large Dutch oven, bring broth, bourbon, Worcestershire, and red pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs, mustard greens, and collard greens; reduce heat and simmer until greens are tender and meatballs are fully cooked, 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, remaining 2 eggs, and lemon juice, until smooth. Remove soup from heat. While stirring constantly in one direction, gradually add cheese mixture to soup, in a slow and steady stream.
- Serve with lemon wedges. Garnish with parsley, red pepper, and cheese, if desired.