These individual servings are great for packing in your picnic basket.
Mason Jar Cornbread Salad with Buttermilk Vinaigrette
Makes 4 servings
- 1 (6-ounce) package buttermilk cornbread mix*
- ¼ cup sliced fresh green onion, divided
- ¾ cup cold water
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups English cucumber, quartered
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 pint assorted cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- Buttermilk Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°. Spray an 8×4½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons green onion, and ¾ cup cold water. Pour into prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into cubes.
- In each of 4 (1-quart) Mason jars, evenly layer cornbread, remaining 2 tablespoons green onion, lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, and corn.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving or up to overnight. Serve with Buttermilk Vinaigrette.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vinegar, dill, chives, salt, and pepper. Pour in oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until combined.
*We used Martha White Cotton Country Cornbread Buttermilk Cornbread Mix.