Mashed potatoes are tasty in any form or fashion, and these fried delights are no exception.
Mashed Potato Croquette
- Vegetable oil
- 2 cups cold thick mashed potatoes
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1½ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Garnish: sliced fresh chives
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 340°.
- In a large bowl, stir together mashed potatoes, 1 egg, chives, salt, and pepper. In a shallow bowl, place flour. In another shallow bowl, whisk together remaining 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon water. In a third shallow bowl, place bread crumbs.
- Form potato mixture into 8 (2½-inch-wide) patties (¼ cup each). Dredge each patty in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg wash and then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Working with 2 patties at a time, deep-fry until golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Let drain on a wire rack. Serve warm. Garnish with chives, if desired.