The tart crunch of these Marinated Spicy Cucumbers and Peppers kept us coming back for seconds.
Marinated Spicy Cucumbers and Peppers
Yields: 8 servings
- 4 cups sliced cucumber
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 1 large clove garlic, sliced
- 1 hot wax pepper, such as Hungarian, sliced
- 3 large sprigs fresh thyme
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cucumber, bell pepper, onion, garlic, wax pepper, and thyme.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together ¾ cup water, vinegar, sugar, oil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Pour over cucumber mixture. Let cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days.