This salad puts market-fresh produce on full display.
Marinated Lady Peas and Tomato Salad
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups fresh lady peas
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup Creole mustard
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves, ground black pepper
- In a medium Dutch oven, add peas and water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until peas are cooled to room temperature; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, marmalade, salt, pepper, and garlic. Slowly whisk in oil in a steady stream. Add peas and onion to bowl, stirring to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Arrange tomato slices on a serving platter. Spoon pea mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle with chopped mint and Parmesan. Garnish with mint leaves and pepper, if desired.