Bake up a batch or two of joy with these Lime Christmas Tree cookies!
Lime Christmas Tree Cookies
Yield: approximately 3 dozen (4-inch) cookies
Write a review
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Green gel food coloring
- Garnish: gel icing, sugar stars, and confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, combine butter and cream cheese. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar to butter mixture. Beat at low speed until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high.
- Beat until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add eggs, lime zest, and lime juice, beating to combine.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating at low speed to incorporate. Increase speed to medium, and beat until combined, 1 to 2 minutes. Add green gel food coloring, blending until cookie dough reaches desired shade of green.
- Divide dough in half. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1⁄4-inch thickness. Using a Christmas-tree-shaped cookie cutter, cut cookies, rerolling dough only once if needed. Place on prepared baking sheets. Using the tip of a paring knife, make indentations in each cookie to resemble branches.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Place sugar star on top, securing with icing. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/