Inspired by our love for strawberry-pretzel salad, we created this lemony twist that features crackers in place of pretzels for a fresh new treat to try this spring.
Lemon-Strawberry Saltine Tart
Makes 10 to 12 Servings
- 2 cups crushed saltine crackers
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 3 (3-ounce) boxes lemon gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1½ pounds fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crackers, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Firmly press mixture into bottom of a 13×9-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining ¾ cup sugar with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spread mixture onto cooled crust. Refrigerate until cold and set, about 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, stir together gelatin and 3 cups boiling water until dissolved. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until thickened and just beginning to set, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir strawberries into gelatin mixture. Gently pour strawberry mixture onto cream cheese layer in pan. Refrigerate until strawberry mixture is cold and set, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.