These fun and citrusy treats are perfect for bake sales, birthday parties, and potlucks.
Lemon-Lime Mayo Cupcakes
- 1¾ cups sifted cake flour*
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise*
- 1 lemon, zested
- ½ lime, zested
- ½ cup lemon-lime soda, room
- temperature Lemon-Lime Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: lemon slices, lime slices
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed lime zest
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 1 (12-cup) muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat sugar and eggs at high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as needed. Beat in mayonnaise and zests at low speed until well combined. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with soda, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Divide mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spoon Lemon-Lime Frosting into a piping bag fitted with a medium open-star pastry tip (Wilton 1M). Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes. Garnish with lemon and lime slices, if desired.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, butter, zests, and salt. Beat at medium speed just until combined.
- Gradually add 2 tablespoons cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. If necessary, add remaining 1 tablespoon cream to reach a smooth pipeable consistency, beating until combined, about 30 seconds.
*We used Swans Down Cake Flour and Blue Plate Real Mayonnaise.