Lemon Icebox Bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- Garnish: lemon slices and fresh lavender
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting it hang over sides by at least 2 inches.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 3 minutes. Reduce mixer speed to low, and add flour, hazelnuts, ginger, and salt. Add egg yolk, beating to combine. Press mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy, approximately 3 minutes. Add mascarpone, and beat until combined. Add condensed milk, beating until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add lemon zest and lemon juice, and beat until mixture is thick and smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine 6 tablespoons boiling water and gelatin, whisking until gelatin is dissolved; let cool for approximately 5 minutes. Add gelatin mixture to lemon mixture, beating until combined. Spread lemon mixture onto prepared crust. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Using foil overhang, lift bars from pan. Cut into 2½- to 3-inch squares. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Garnish with lemon slices and lavender, if desired.