These parfaits, from our Spring 2005 issue, are the perfect blend of sweet and tart!
Yield: 10 parfaits Preparation: 5 minutes Cook: 25 minutes Chill: 1 hour Assembly: 20 minutes
Write a review
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small commercial angel-food cake
- 1 pint blueberries
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Garnish: additional blueberries
- Combine first 4 ingredients in top of a 2-quart double boiler; bring water to a boil on stovetop. Reduce heat to low; cook until butter melts.
- •Gradually, stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into beaten eggs; add this to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- •Cook, stirring constantly, over simmering water until mixture thickens, for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat; chill for 1 hour.
- •Tear angel-food cake into 1-inch pieces. Place one-third of angel-food cake pieces in each of 10 parfait glasses. Top with one-third of lemon sauce and one-third of blueberries. Repeat layers twice. Top each parfait with whipped topping. Garnish with additional blueberries, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/