Double the recipe for the Balsamic Roasted Vegetables when making your holiday dinner or start with fresh. Either way, this soup is sure to satisfy.
Leftover Turkey and Farro Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 9 cups chicken or turkey stock
- 2 cups cooked shredded turkey
- ¾ cup farro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs (sage, thyme, dill)
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 cups chopped collard greens
- 3 cups chopped Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Fresh herbs and bread, to serve
- In a large Dutch oven, place stock, turkey, farro, herbs, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and red pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, stir in collard greens until wilted. Reduce heat to medium, and cook until farro is tender, about 30 minutes; during last 10 minutes of cooking, add Balsamic Roasted Vegetables.
- Discard bay leaves before serving. Serve with additional herbs and bread, if desired.
KITCHEN TIP: To use fresh vegetables instead of roasted, in step 1, add 1¼ cups chopped acorn squash, 1¼ cups chopped parsnips, and ½ cup chopped red onion with the turkey.