Southern Large Limas with Ham Hock
6 (1-cup) Servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onion, chopped, about 3 cups
- 1 stalk celery, leaves removed, chopped, about ½ cup
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Large Limas (large butter beans), rinsed and sorted
- 1 ham hock, meat scored
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Cornbread, for serving
- Select SAUTE feature on Instant Pot. Add oil and heat until hot. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring frequently, until tender and lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in beans, ham hock, bay leaves and 6 cups water. Select CANCEL feature.
- Cover, lock and seal lid. Select MANUAL feature. Pressure cook on HIGH for 25 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or long tongs, carefully release remaining pressure. Uncover; select CANCEL feature.
- Remove bay leaves. Remove ham hock and chop meat. Return chopped ham to Instant Pot. Stir in hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with cornbread.