Crumbled bacon and bread crumbs create an irresistible topping.
Lady Pea, Corn, and Squash Gratin
Yields: 6 servings
Bread Crumb Topping:
- ¾ cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cups sliced zucchini
- 1½ cups sliced yellow squash
- 1 cup shelled fresh lady peas
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For bread crumb topping: In a small bowl, toss together bread crumbs, oil, and salt. Place on a small baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- For filling: In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups water, broth, zucchini, squash, peas, corn, and onion to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain squash mixture, and set aside. Wipe saucepan clean.
- Place flour, salt, and garlic powder in saucepan; whisk in cream and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir squash mixture and chiles into bacon drippings in skillet. Stir in cream sauce. Drop goat cheese by teaspoonfuls over corn mixture.
- Bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Crumble bacon. Sprinkle bread crumbs and bacon over gratin. Bake 5 minutes more. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.