This comforting casserole gets an upscale twist with cremini mushrooms and Gruyère cheese.
Kale and Wild Rice Casserole
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 1 bunch Lacinato kale, ribs and stems removed, chopped (about
- 8 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 11⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked wild rice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, approximately 10 minutes. Add kale in batches, stirring until wilted after each addition. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Gradually add broth and half-and-half, stirring constantly until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. Add 1⁄2 cup cheese and rice, stirring to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1⁄2 cup cheese.
- Bake until bubbly and cheese melts, approximately 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/