This one-layer skillet cake is perfect for any special occasion.
Italian Cream Skillet Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) package confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Garnish: sweetened flaked coconut, chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch square or round cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- For cake: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Pour batter into prepared skillet.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until combined. Add almond extract, beating until smooth. Spread frosting on top of cake. Garnish with coconut and pecans, if desired.