Who says winter foods aren’t colorful? This gorgeous salad is vibrant enough to brighten up any dreary day.
Instant Pot Sea Island Red Pea Salad
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 cup dried Sea Island red peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, combine red peas, ½ cup onion, minced garlic, bay leaf, and 1¼ teaspoons salt; add enough water to cover peas by ½ inch (about 3 cups). Lock lid and close pressure-release valve. Select MANUAL feature. Pressure cook on HIGH for 10 minutes. Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes; quick release any remaining pressure. Uncover and press CANCEL feature.
- Stir lima beans into pot with peas; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain pea mixture, spreading into an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet; let cool completely. Discard bay leaf.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooled pea mixture, celery, pimientos, and remaining ½ cup onion. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, grated garlic, pepper, and remaining 2¾ teaspoons salt. Whisk in oil; stir in parsley and basil. Pour vinegar mixture over pea mixture, stirring to combine. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
KITCHEN TIP: For stove-top cooking, combine the peas, onion, garlic, bay leaf, and water in a large stock pot as directed in step 1. Cook peas according to package directions until tender. Add salt after peas are tender. Continue as directed in Step 2.