There’s nothing like rich decadence to start your day, and you can’t get more decadent than these Hummingbird Waffles.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- ¾ cup cooked and peeled mashed sweet potato
- ½ cup overripe mashed banana, about 1 medium banana
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped Cream Cheese (recipe follows), to serve
- Garnish: maple syrup, pecans
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pineapple, sweet potato, banana, and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Add ⅔ cup batter to a preheated, lightly greased waffle maker, and cook according to manufacturer’s instructions. When done, use a fork to lift waffle off grid. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Whipped Cream Cheese. Garnish with maple syrup and pecans, if desired. Serve immediately.
Whipped Cream Cheese
Makes about 2 cups
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar at medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- In the same bowl of the stand mixer with a clean whisk attachment, beat cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Add in cream cheese mixture and vanilla. Beat at low speed just until combined. Use immediately.