Filled with fresh fruity flavor and warm spice, this loaf is topped with streusel for added decadence.
Hummingbird Streusel Bread
Makes 1 (9×5-inch) loaf
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a deep 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray with flour. Line pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together 1¾ cups flour, 1 cup sugar, pecans, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, combine pineapple, mashed banana, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add pineapple mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ½ cup flour, remaining ½ cup sugar, and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Using a fork, stir in melted butter until mixture is crumbly. (Break up any large pieces.) Sprinkle streusel over batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 53 to 55 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle Cream Cheese Glaze over cooled loaf.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. Use immediately.
This quick bread is easy to make, so it’s great for sharing. Go ahead and double the recipe to make two loaves, one for your family to enjoy and one to share with a friend.