A dozen of these gooey and crunchy sticky buns makes for an irresistible treat.
Hummingbird Sticky Buns
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages quick-rise instant dry yeast
- 4½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups pecan halves
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- ⅓ cup pineapple preserves
- ⅓ cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 small banana)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ all-purpose flour
- ½ cup diced banana
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together 3 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, combine ¾ cup water, milk, butter, and vanilla over medium heat until a thermometer registers 120° to 130°. Slowly pour warm milk mixture into dry ingredients in mixing bowl, beating on low speed until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add eggs, beating until combined. Add 3 cups flour, and beat on low until a shaggy dough forms. Switch to the dough hook attachment, and knead on low until the dough is smooth and elastic, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. On a lightly floured surface, form dough into a smooth round and place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour into prepared pan, and sprinkle pecans and pineapple tidbits in a single layer. Let cool completely.
- Lightly punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a floured surface and roll into an 18×14-inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pineapple preserves, mashed banana, and cinnamon. Whisk in flour. Stir in diced banana. Spread onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border on one long side.
- Starting with the long side opposite the border, roll dough into a log, placing seam side down. Trim ends. Using a serrated knife, slice into 12 (1½-inch-thick) rolls. Place in prepared pan on top of pecans. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed and rolls are touching, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert rolls onto a serving platter. Spoon any pecan caramel left in pan on top of rolls. Serve warm.