Try a new take on a classic dish with this hearty ham and black-eyed pea Hoppin’ John Spread.
Hoppin’ John Spread
Makes 3 cups
- 1 (12-ounce) package country ham
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rice crackers, to serve
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse ham until finely ground.
- In a large bowl, mix together ham, mayonnaise, celery, onion, bell pepper, peas, lemon zest and juice, parsley, red pepper, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Serve with rice crackers.