Home Fries with Caramelized Red Onions
Write a review
- 3 large russet potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- In a large stockpot, place potatoes. Cover with cold water, and bring water to a boil. Cook potatoes until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Cut potatoes into ½-inch cubes.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat peanut oil over medium-high heat until it just begins to smoke. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add half of potatoes to skillet, spreading to cover entire surface of pan. Cook potatoes in 2 batches, being careful not to overcrowd pan. Sprinkle potatoes with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, without stirring, until potatoes are golden brown on the bottom, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan. Carefully flip potatoes, and cook until bottoms are golden brown. Set aside. Repeat with remaining potatoes, salt, pepper, and butter.
- Return cooked potatoes and reserved onion to pan. Stir to combine and heat through. Garnish with thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/