A creamy baked winter vegetable mash with potatoes, parsnips, butternut squash, parmesan, and sour cream.
Hearty Winter Vegetable Mash
Yield: approximately 6 servings
Write a review
- 4 cups coarsely chopped red potato
- 2 cups coarsely chopped peeled parsnip
- 2 cups (1-inch) peeled cubed butternut squash
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Japanese bread crumbs (panko), toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 1 1⁄2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small Dutch oven, place potato, parsnip, squash, and 1 teaspoon salt; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes, adding kale during last 2 minutes of cook time. Drain.
- Return potato mixture to pan; add sour cream, 4 tablespoons cheese, butter, remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sage. Coarsely mash; stir in egg. Spoon potato mixture into prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake until heated through, approximately 30 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/