Dried porcini mushrooms add rich flavor to this beef stew.
Hearty Vegetable-Beef Stew
Makes about 8 servings
Write a review
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 pounds beef stew cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) carton beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 (12-ounce) can lager beer*
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsnips
- 1 (8-ounce) bag green beans, trimmed and halved
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- *We used Pabst’s Blue Ribbon.
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over high heat. Add beef and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove beef.
- Add onion; cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add browned beef, broth, tomatoes, beer, mushrooms, Worcestershire, paprika, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Crush tomatoes slightly. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.
- Add carrots and parsnips; continue to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. During last 10 minutes of cooking, add green beans. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/