Incorporate convenience into your routine first thing in the morning with this one-skillet Heart Breakfast Casserole.
Hearty Breakfast Casserole
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 cups (¾-inch) cubed peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 6 cups (2-inch) cubed croissants
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup chopped fresh curly kale
- ½ cup (½-inch) cubed Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a 12-inch enameled cast-iron skillet or braiser, cook bell peppers over medium-high heat until blistered, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and place bell peppers in a resealable plastic bag; let stand for 10 minutes. Peel bell peppers and remove stems and seeds; cut into strips.
- In same skillet or braiser, toss together potatoes, oil, and ¼ teaspoon salt until coated.
- Bake until potatoes begin to lightly brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and loosen potatoes from bottom of pan. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Add bread, ham, kale, and Swiss cheese to potatoes in pan, tossing to coat. Pour egg mixture over top. Top with bell peppers. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
- Bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Garnish with black pepper, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: To make this casserole even easier, roast the peppers and chop ingredients the night before and refrigerate until cooking.