Tart Granny Smith apple and apple cider vinegar transform classic grilled cheese sandwiches into a supper-worthy treat.
Ham and Cheese Skillet Sandwiches
Yield: 2 sandwiches
Write a review
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 (1-inch-thick) slices country-style bread
- 4 teaspoons honey mustard
- 8 slices honey ham
- 8 slices fontina cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to broil. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter; let melt. Add apple, onion, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; wipe skillet clean.
- Spread one side of bread slices with mustard. Divide apple mixture between two bread slices; top apple mixture evenly with ham and half of cheese. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in skillet; add sandwiches. Cook until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat; top sandwiches with remaining cheese. Broil until cheese melts, approximately 4 minutes.
Taste of the South https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/